AREAS NEEDING REPENTANCE
4Tucson Prayer Domain 10-1-2022
- Repentance leads us to two thoughts: what we should do and what we shouldn’t do.
- Examples of what we shouldn’t do: speeding, pornography, wasting time on frivolous things, overeating, swearing, and the list goes on.
- Examples of what we tell ourselves that we should be doing: basically doing the opposite of anything
that might be found in the first example.
This is well and good! But, what about those areas that we don’t want to think about: tongue, mind, heart,
judging, being renewed, love and prayer. Don’t let this document overwhelm or burden you. Let the Holy Spirit
guide your eyes to what He wants you to focus on. Each section has only 5 verses. This was done intentionally.
Add other verses that are meaningful to you. All the verses listed below are from the NIV Bible.
- Proverbs 18:21 – The tongue has the power of life and death, and those who love it will eat its
- Ephesians 4:29 – Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is
helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen.
- Leviticus 19:16 – Do not go about spreading slander among your people. Do not do anything
that endangers your neighbor’s life. I am the Lord.
- Proverbs 12:18-19 – Reckless words pierce like a sword, but the tongue of the wise brings
healing. Truthful lips endure forever, but a lying tongue lasts only a moment.
- James 3:9-10 – With the tongue we praise our Lord and Father, and with it we curse men, who
have been made in God’s likeness. Out of the same mouth come praise and cursing. My
brothers, this should not be.
- Romans 12:2 – Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by
the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is – His
good, pleasing and perfect will.
- Philippians 4:8 – Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right,
whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable – if anything is excellent or
praiseworthy – think on such things.
4Tucson Prayer Domain
August 3, 2021
- Colossians 3:1-2 –Since, then, you have been raised with Christ, set your hearts on things above,
- where Christ is seated at the right hand of God. Set your minds on things above, not on earthly things.
- Romans 8:5-6 – Those who live according to the sinful nature have their minds set on what that nature desires; but those who live in accordance with the Spirit have their minds set on what the Spirit desires. The mind of sinful man is death, but the mind controlled by the Spirit is life and peace;……
- 2 Corinthians 10:5 – We demolish arguments and every pretension that sets itself up against the
knowledge of God, and we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ.
- Psalm 119:11 – I have hidden your word in my heart that I might not sin against you.
- Psalm 51:10 – Create in me a pure heart, O God, and renew a steadfast spirit within me
- Jeremiah 17:9-10 – The heart is deceitful above all things and beyond cure. Who can
understand it? “I the Lord search the heart and examine the mind, to reward a man according
to his conduct, according to what his deeds deserve.”
- Ezekiel 11:19 – I will give them an undivided heart and put a new spirit in them; I will remove
from them their heart of stone and give them a heart of flesh.
- Mark 7:20-23 – (Jesus says) What comes out of a man is what makes him ‘unclean’. For from
within, out of men’s hearts, come evil thoughts, sexual immorality, theft, murder, adultery,
greed, malice, deceit, lewdness, envy, slander, arrogance and folly. All these evils come from
inside and make a man ‘unclean’.
- Matthew 7:1-2 – Do not judge, or you too will be judged. For in the same way you judge others,
you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.
- James 4:11-12 – Brothers, do not slander one another. Anyone who speaks against his brother
or judges him speaks against the law and judges it. When you judge the law, you are not
keeping it, but sitting in judgment on it. There is only one Lawgiver and Judge, the one who is
able to save and destroy. But you – who are you to judge your neighbor?
- Proverbs 31:9 – Speak up and judge fairly; defend the rights of the poor and needy.
- James 5:9 – Don’t grumble against each other, brothers, or you will be judged. The Judge is
standing at the door.
- Romans 12:19 – Do not take revenge, my friends, but leave room for God’s wrath, for it is
written: “It is mine to avenge; I will repay,” says the Lord.
- Galatians 2:20 – I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The
life I live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me.
- Isaiah 40:29-31 – He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak. Even
youths grow weary, and young men stumble and fall; but those who hope in the Lord will renew
4Tucson Prayer Domain
August 3, 2021
their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will
walk and not be faint.
- Philippians 4:6-7 – Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and petition,
with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all
understanding, will guard hour hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.
- 2 Corinthians 4:16 – ……Thou outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being
renewed day by day.
- 1 Chronicles 16:11 – Look to the Lord and his strength; seek His face always.
- 1 John 13:34-35 – (Jesus says) A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you,
so you must love one another. By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you love
- I Corinthians 13:4-7 – Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not
proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs.
Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always
hopes, always perseveres.
- I John 5:2 – This is how we know that we love the children of God: by loving God and carrying
out his commands.
- Ephesians 4:2 – Be completely humble and gentle; be patient, bearing with one another in love.
- 1 John 4:20 – If anyone says, “I love God,” yet hates his brother, he is a liar. For anyone who
does not love his brother, whom he has seen, cannot love God, whom he has not seen.
- I Thessalonians 5:17 – Pray continuously
- Romans 8:26-27 – In the same way, the Spirit helps us in our weakness. We do not know what
we ought to pray for but the Spirit himself intercedes for us with groans that words cannot
express. And he who searches our hearts knows the mind of the Spirit, because the Spirit
intercedes for the saints in accordance with God’s will.
- Jeremiah 33:3 – Call to me and I will answer you and tell you great and unsearchable things you
do not know.
- 1 Timothy 2:1-4 – I urge, then, first of all, that requests, prayers, intercession and thanksgiving
be made for everyone – for kings and all those in authority, that we may live peaceful and quiet
lives in all godliness and holiness. This is good, and pleases God our Savior, who wants all men
to be saved and to come to a knowledge of the truth.
- Colossians 4:2 – Devote yourselves to prayer, being watchful and thankful.