Scriptures to Pray Over the Many Diverse Churches And the Gatherings of God’s People in Our City
4Tucson Prayer Domain 10-1-2022
It is my prayer that you will read through these pages and find the one or two that really speak to your spirit and that you will pray them over your home church, or over the collective churches in this city. You will notice that I’ve included scriptures only from the New Testament. This was purposeful as I wanted to concentrate on what Jesus/Yeshua said, and what took place or what was written after the coming of the Holy Spirit/Ruach ha’Kodesh at Pentecost.
If you are wondering how to pray these scriptures for the church, here are some examples:
- Ephesians 6:10-18 discusses need for spiritual armor. We might recognize that there’s much coming against the pastor or the congregation and so we pray that the Lord will clothe the pastor in God’s spiritual armor for protection against the enemy.
- I Thessalonians 5:16-22 talks about being filled with joy, regardless of the circumstances. If you know of a church going through difficulties, pray this verse over the congregation.
- II Peter 2:1-3 talks about false teachers. Are some in the local churches following other “ministries” which may be preaching/teaching that is not in alignment with God’s Word? Use this verse to pray God’s protection over the congregations and to expose false teachings or teachers. My hope & prayer is that these verses will lead you to other verses as we intercede on behalf of God’s children, our churches.
- Matthew 10:16 [Jesus states] I am sending you out like sheep among wolves. Therefore, be as shrewd as snakes and as innocent as doves.
- Matthew 25:31-46 (the Sheep & the Goats) Verse 35-36 – For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.
- John 17:20-23 [Jesus prays for all believers] My prayer is not for them alone. I pray also for those who will believe in me through their message, that all of them may be one, Father, just as you are in me and I am in you. May they also be in us so that the world may believe that you have sent me. I have given them the glory that you gave me, that they may be one as we are one: I in them and you in me. May they be brought to complete unity to let the world know that you sent me and have loved them even as you have loved me.
- Acts 2:42-47 They devoted themselves to the apostles’ teaching and to the fellowship, to the breaking of bread and to prayer. Everyone was filled with awe, and many wonders and miraculous signs were done by the apostles. All the believers were together and had everything in common. Selling their possessions and good, they gave to anyone as he had need. Every day they continued to meet together in the temple courts. They broke bread in their homes and ate together with glad and sincere hearts, praising God and enjoying the favor of all the people. And the Lord added to their number daily those who were being saved.
- Acts 4:32 All the believers were one in heart and mind. No one claimed that any of his possessions was his own, but they shared everything they had.
- I Corinthians 1:22-25 Jews demand miraculous signs and Greeks look for wisdom, but we preach Christ crucified: a stumbling block to Jews and foolishness to Gentiles, but to those who God has called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God and the wisdom of God. For the foolishness of God is wiser than man’s wisdom, and the weakness of God is stronger than man’s strength.
- I Corinthians 2:4 & 5 My (Paul) message and my preaching were not with wise and persuasive words, but with a demonstration of the Spirit’s power, so that your faith might not rest on men’s wisdom, but on God’s power.
- Galatians 1:6 & 7 I am astonished that you are so quickly deserting the one who called you by the grace of Christ and are turning to a different gospel – which is really no gospel at all. Evidently some people are throwing you into confusions and are trying to pervert the gospel of Christ.
- Galatians 2:8 For God, who was at work in the ministry of Peter as an apostle to the Jews, was also at work in my ministry as an apostle to the Gentiles.
- Galatians 2:20 & 21 I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me. I do not set aside the grace of God, for if righteousness could be gained through the law, Christ died for nothing.
- Ephesians 2:3b-10 Like the rest, we’re by nature objects of wrath. But because of his great love for us, God, who is rich in mercy, made us alive with Christ even when we were dead in transgressions – it is by grace you have been saved. And God raised us up with Christ and seated us with him in the heavenly realms in Christ Jesus, in order that in the coming ages he might show the incomparable riches of his grace, expressed in his kindness to us in Christ Jesus. For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith – and this not from yourselves it is the gift of God – not by works, so that no one can boast. For we are God’s workmanship, created in Christ to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do.
- Ephesians 3:6 This mystery is that through the gospel the Gentiles are heirs together with Israel, members together of one body, and sharers together in the promise of Christ Jesus.
- Ephesians 4:2-6 Be completely humble and gentle; be patient, bearing with one another in love. Make
every effort to keep the unity of the Spirit through the bond of peace. There is one body and one Spirit – just as you were called to one hope when you were called – one Lord, one faith, one baptism; one God and Father of all, who is over all and through all and in all.
- Ephesians 6-10-18 Finally, be strong in the Lord and in his mighty power. Put on the full armor of God sothat you can take your stand against the devil’s schemes. For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms. Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand. Stand firm then, with the belt of truth buckled around your waist, with the breastplate of righteousness in place, and with your feet fitted with the readiness that comes from the gospel of peace. In addition to all this, take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one. Take the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God. And pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests. With this in mind, be alert and always keep on praying for all the saints.
- Philippians 2:1-4 If you have any encouragement from being united with Christ, if any comfort from his love, if any fellowship with the Spirit, if any tenderness and compassion, then make my joy complete by being like-minded, having the same love, being one in spirit and purpose. Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit, but in humility consider others better than yourselves. Each of you should look not only to your own interests, but also the interests of others.
- Colossians 1:10-14 And we pray this in order that you may live a life worthy of the Lord and may please him in every way: bearing fruit in every good work, growing in the knowledge of God, being strengthened with all power according to his glorious might so that you may have great endurance and patience, and joyfully giving thanks to the Father, who has qualified you to share in the inheritance of the saints in the kingdom of light. For he has rescued us from the dominion of darkness and brought us into the kingdom of the Son he loves, in whom we have redemption, the forgiveness of sins.
- Colossians 2:2-4, 8 My purpose is that they may be encouraged in heart and united in love, so that they may have the full riches of complete understanding, in order that they may know the mystery of God, namely, Christ, in whom are hidden all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge. I tell you this so that no one may deceive you by fine-sounding arguments……….See to it that no one takes you captive through hollow and deceptive philosophy, which depends on human tradition and the basic principles of this world rather than on Christ.
- I Thessalonians 5:16-22 Be joyful always; pray continually; give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus. Do not put out the Spirit’s fire; do not treat prophecies with contempt. Test everything, Hold on to the good. Avoid every kind of evil.
- I Timothy 4:1 & 2 The Spirit clearly says that in later times some will abandon the faith and follow
deceiving sprits and things taught by demons. Such teachings come through hypocritical liars, whose
consciences have been seared as with a hot iron.II Timothy 1:7 For God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but a spirit of power, of love and of self-discipline.
- II Timothy 2:23-26 Don’t have anything to do with foolish and stupid arguments, because you know they produce quarrels. And the Lord’s servant must not quarrel; instead, he must be kind to everyone, able to teach, not resentful. Those who oppose him he must gently instruct, in the hope that God will grant them repentance leading them to a knowledge of the truth, and that they will come to their senses and escape from the trap of the devil, who has taken them captive to do his will.
- Hebrews 12:1 Therefore, since we area surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us.
- James 5:15 & 16 And the prayer offered in faith will make the sick person well, the Lord will raise him up. If he has sinned, he will be forgiven. Therefore, confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous man is powerful and effective.
- II Peter 2:1-3 But there were also false prophets among the people, just as there will be false teachers among you. They will secretly introduce destructive heresies, even denying the sovereign Lord who bought them – bringing swift destruction on themselves. Many will follow their shameful ways and will bring the way of truth into disrepute. In their greed these teachers will exploit you with stories they have made up. Their condemnation has long been hanging over them, and their destruction has not been sleeping.
- I John 4:1-3 Dear friends, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see whether they are from God, because many false prophets have gone out into the world. This is how you can recognize the Spirit of God: every spirit that acknowledges that Jesus Christ has come in the flesh is from God, but every spirit that does not acknowledge Jesus is not from God. This is the spirit of the antichrist, which you have heard is coming and even now is already in the world.
- Revelation 2:4 Messiah’s community in Ephesus – I hold this against you: you have forsaken your first love.
- Revelation 2:20 Messiah’s community in Thyatira – I have this against you: you tolerate that woman Jezebel, who calls herself a prophetess.
- Revelation 3:1 Messiah’s community in Sardis – I know your deeds; you have a reputation for being alive, but you are dead.
- Revelation 3:15 Messiah’s community in Laodicea – I know your deeds; that you are neither cold nor hot.