February Note to Friends for L.I.F.E.
By LaKisha Deon 3-03-2023
In February the majority of our focus was centered around two of the 4Tucson’s culture: partnership and collaboration. I see these two cultural values as vital components to fulfilling our mission; to unite and mobilize Christians, empowering them to put biblical principles into action as we engage our city’s most systemic problems. To be honest, true partnership and collaboration is the most challenging aspect of transforming our city.
I have observed in the last five years of working in this space of Biblical City Transformation that the lack of trust among Christian and non-Christian organizations is high. I have also noticed that most entities like the sound of the two words partnership and collaboration but not the actions which demonstrate them.
Why is it that as a community seeking to serve and do good works, we do not play well with others seeking to do good?
I can only gather that both partnership and collaboration require an individual organization to take on a posture of humility and openness. These are not easy postures to have as a person, let alone as an organization.
“By humility and the fear of the LORD, Are riches and honor and life.” Proverbs 22 :4
While leading 4Tucson, I strongly encourage our team to always demonstrate humility and openness when partnering with stakeholders in our community, portraying our culture outside of our office walls. Out of the service we are seeing great relational rewards that bring honor to God and life in our city. Below are two examples on how we are living our organizational culture out loud.
- Movement Day Tucson 2023 – Movement Day Tucson is an annual collaborative event that strengthens our existing taskforces and launches new ones. This year we introduced an iteration of Design Thinking called Co-Creation brainstorm method. Brain Trust members assisted 4Tucson Project Owners in developing projects and programs to work on throughout the year. Movement Day 2023 featured projects from our four current Taskforces: Poverty Reduction, Economic Opportunity and Development, Housing, and Education. This year we were blessed to have five of our Friends for L.I.F.E. members participate in this event in roles as either the brain trust or as project owners. Their influence and expertise has already started to make a significant impact in our community. (Please see infographic HERE.)
- Christian Education & Training Center (CETC) – CETC Ministries is committed to the Lord’s program through His Church and exists not as something apart from the local church but rather as complementary aspect of its entire ministry to a world in spiritual need. 4Tucson was invited to join with Iglesia Bautista Kairos, Corazon Ministries, Association of Spanish Speaking Pastors, ACSTO, J17 Ministries, Proyecto Por la Familia, Maranatha Ministries, and Christian community leaders. 4Tucson’s Economic Opportunity and Development Taskforce is responsible for coordinating Thursday night classes which are focused on Finance 101. In collaboration with three local resource agencies, we have the current classes scheduled Building Credit Presentation, Financial Literacy Program Presentation, personal income tax information, and Entrepreneurship Program Presentation.
I am proud to say that we have many other examples on how we partner with others in our community to inform change. I would love the opportunity to share about all the doors God is opening, He is answering our prayers on pathways to influence change in our community through building relationships with others seeking to do good for our city.
Thank you for your partnership in seeing a city aligned with God’s ways, so that His peace and prosperity are experienced by all generations. Because you have chosen to share your L.I.F.E. (Labor, Influence, Finances, Expertise) with 4Tucson, it has allowed us to steward our resources to make a lasting impact for the Kingdom of Heaven.
Below are some opportunities to Make a Difference.
Would you pray and seek God on ways that you can use your Influence or Expertise to support our missions with the below opportunities to serve?
We are seeking individuals who have a desire to teach, facilitate, or promote in the below focus areas:
- Christian Education & Training Center presenter (Spanish and English facilitators)
- Faith & Finance Program Promoter
- Youth Entrepreneurship Program Committee Member
- Youth Entrepreneurship Program Facilitator
Please contact me at lakisha@4Tucson.com or 520-745-4404 for more details.
Lastly, be on the look out for an invitation to join us on a free Spiritual Heritage Tour of Tucson. The next tour is schedule for Thursday March 23rd from 8:30 – 12:00. The tour bus will leave 5151 E Broadway Blvd parking lot at 9:00 am and will return at 11:00 am for lunch and brief presentation. I hope you and a friend can join us for this first of its kind tour.